Document generation & delivery software (also known as output management, label printing, overlay printing, form designer, and form printing) is a solution that improves the creation, delivery, storage, and retrieval of documents from systems like ERP, CRM, SCM, PLM, warehousing, logistics and other business systems.
This type of software is used to deliver business documents to customers, prospects, suppliers, subcontractors and other business partners, including internal users. Delivery is made through a variety of supported print and digital channels, including email, SMS, web pages, fax, social media sites, print, portal, and archive.
Electronic document generation (EDG) for QAD is a great example of an integrated document generation and delivery solution. This software allows managing all manufacturing, warehousing and logistics documents, forms and labels from one central location. Together, EDG and QAD ERP comprise a complete solution that can manage both physical printing and electronic viewing as well as archiving of reports and documents. Using this professional document generation and delivery system brings the following business benefits:
Use Case Example: professional document generation & delivery software for QAD in the manufacturing industry
Imagine you work at a manufacturing company and use QAD Enterprise Applications as your ERP system. This system produces a standard purchase order. In order to meet your customer’s needs or simply stay compliant, making changes to the purchase order in the ERP system requires expensive programming. To avoid costly expenses, you can use a professional document generation and delivery system which has been tested on thousands of installations, and will perform the following:
- System Setup – Installation of all components takes less than 15 min.
- Template Design – A user-friendly graphical design tool with drag & drop capabilities, allows you to create/modify the template of the purchase order in just a few minutes. By creating intelligent document templates with smart logic and convenient preview capabilities, template quantity can be cut by about 50%.
- Content Composition – Define constant and dynamic fields, key rules for pulling out variables and metadata like supplier contact information (email address). In addition, compose the personalized email message that will accompany it, which may include the purchase order number, supplier name, number, and delivery date.
Once everything is in place in the document template, the system will perform the following after the purchase order is sent from the ERP system to the document generation and delivery system:
- Merge – Merge the raw data from the ERP system into a user-friendly PDF file, HTML page, fax or other supported output formats, based on the design; will add logo and footer, signature and all other needed design elements.
- Document Generation in Batch Mode – In case a batch of purchase orders is run, the system will parse the whole output and produce single purchase orders. Using a separate system for document generation and delivery at a separate server brings a significant benefit: document generation in batch mode doesn’t slow down your ERP system, which allows other employees to use it.
- Document Generation in On-demand Mode – You can create purchase orders and any other documents (e.g. order acknowledgments, packing slips, pick tickets, restricted article forms, invoices, bills) using pre-approved document templates with pre-defined editable fields directly in your QAD ERP system.
- Personalization – Each purchase order will be accompanied with a personalized message, or image based on values like the purchase order number, supplier name and number, delivery dates, and language (for your suppliers from other countries).
- Secure Approval-Workflow – A certain workflow is defined and applied. Purchase orders can be routed to specific employees based on any values from your ERP system, like the order amount and address. In our example, all purchase orders are prepared by a trainee and are sent for approval to the project manager. In other situations, purchase orders of a certain amount could be routed to specific managers for approval before being sent out. Other orders can be sent out without a delay.
- Omnichannel Distribution – The delivery of purchase orders is automated. Some suppliers may require an email, while others still use fax. Some suppliers may also need to have a hard copy. A copy will be automatically sent to the archive for future document management or audit needs.
- Sorting & Bundling – In some companies, documents are generated over the week and sent only at the end of the week to the local print shop. Automated document sorting (e.g. by location, amount) and bundling allow cutting time and costs spent on manual work steps in this area.
- Storage and Retrieval – The system stores and retrieves generated and delivered documents.
To learn more about EDG for QAD Solutions, read the latest case studies about how other companies already benefit from using this document generation and delivery solution, or to get a free consultation, feel free contact us.